Copies of the Parish History are available from
(Tel 028 7134 5076) at a cost of £6 each.
Main Historical Events
- Construction of the Ivy Church by the Goldsmiths' Company in place of the
older, possibly monastic church at Clondermot.
- The Ivy Church destroyed in the rebellion of 1641 but soon rebuilt.
- During the Commonwealth period, a Presbyterian minister (Rev John Will)
and the congregation became established at the parish church.
- Established church restored. Rev John Will vacates church in 1665
- Rev William Kerr begins his ministry as curate of Clondermot.
- Ivy Church burned by retreating Jacobite army after the Siege of Derry
- Ivy Church rebuilt by parishioners, assisted by the Bishop and Dean
- New church built on its present site at Altnagelvin to seat 330 people.
- Three-stage battlemented tower added to the new church.
- Copper-over-wood spire added by Bishop Hervey but in blew down in 1831.
- Glendermott Parish constituted a perpetual curacy.
- Dwelling house purchased at Clooney and rented to curate. (First Rectory)
- Death of the Rev Anthony Grayson Cary, the first perpetual curate.
- Glendermott Parish becomes a separate incumbency and the Rev David Babington
(perpetual curate from 1848) becomes its first Rector.
- New wing (north aisle) added to the church, increasing capacity to 500
- Clooney Parish separated from Glendermott and established 3 June.
- New church bell presented by The Honorable The Irish Society.
- Babington Hall is opened and dedicated as a memorial to our first Rector.
- New church bell installed - the gift of many contributors.
- New pipe organ installed - dedicated on 27 February 1910.
- New lighting system, by acetylene gas, is installed in church.
- The New Cemetery is opened.
- Solid fuel heating system is installed in church.
- "The Last Post" memorial (in the churchyard) dedicated on 1 January
- Rev David Kelly instituted as Rector on 6 February
- A Sunday School is opened in New Buildings
- Rectory and glebe at Limavady Road sold to Corporation for £28,600
- Work starts on construction of a new Rectory. Completed late 1969.
- Canon SW Johnston instituted as Rector on 25 September.
- Canon David Kelly Memorial Hall officially opened on 1 March.
- Canon RN Moore instituted as Rector on 2 June.
- Church listed as a building of special architectural and historic interest.
- Church porch extended. Dedicated on 21 September.
- New Minor Hall officially opened on 22 September.
- Church of Ireland Centre, Newbuildings opens. Consecrated 28 September.
- External floodlighting of the church installed. Dedicated on 20 November.
- "The Last Post" repaired and refurbished. Rededicated on 14 May.
- Rev Derek Creighton instituted as Rector on 24 August.
- Glendermott Church celebrated 250th anniversary. Service of Thanksgiving
- Memorial for the Fallen dedicated on Sunday 8 February.